Thursday, February 02, 2006

UAE boycotts Danish goods!!

All the markets in UAE continue to boycott the Danish goods for the fourth day, even famous series such as Spinneys and Carrefour have joined the campaign against the Danish government and have asked it for an apology.
The case has began in September, when a Danish newspaper first sparked a furor by publishing 12 cartoons, one of which depicted the Prophet Mohammed wearing a turban shaped as a bomb with a burning fuse.
Islamic tradition bars any depiction of the Prophet, even respectful ones, out of concern that such images could lead to idolatry.
According to local newspapers, this boycott made the Danish companies lose between 150 and 200 million Dhs ( about 60 million dollars till now).
Yesterday I went to do some shopping from Carrefour which I think is French series of hypermarkets, and saw some empty shelves with signs wrote on them (here where sold some Danish goods), the same thing with Spinneys but without any sign, just empty shelves.
The Danish newspaper did apologize for this act, But I think when it was too late.
Now the Muslims around the world want an official apology from the Danish Government .
Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen, said he could not apologize on behalf of the paper, he said: “I would like to emphasize that the Danish Government condemns any expression, action or indication that attempts to demonize groups on the basis of their religion or ethnic background.
The Danish prime minister refused to apologize because it was against their constitution, since the newspaper was a private company.
The crisis is still on, but I think it will be solved within a few days, because so many Danish companies are loosing millions everyday, and this boycott will lead to some discussion.
The Boycott is not only in UAE, but also in Saudi Arabia and many other Muslim countries.

10 Comments:

Blogger programmer craig said...

Hi Rose,

"The crisis is still on, but I think it will be solved within a few days"

I wish that were so, but with the destruction of the embassies of Norway and Denmark in Syria, it's now a matter of state, not a matter of private enterprises and private citizens. I don't think it's going to be resolved any time soon.

10:56 PM  
Blogger bint alshamsa said...

Hello Rose,

I hope to read more of your views about this incident. I think it is very sad that this newspaper printed these cartoons even though it was legal for them to do so. I do not think that the prophets of any religion should be mocked. I do not believe that the Jyllands-Posten didn't know that these depictions would be considered disrespectful. Even if the religion involved is not Islam, any decent person is likely to find such antics disgusting if it is done to their holy figures.

I think that sometimes media does this sort of thing just to make money. People will buy more newspapers to see what all of the controversy is about so the news corp. generates income even while the rest of their countrymen suffer. I have yet to see a newspaper in the USA print these photos and I am very glad about that but I think that this action by the Danish is likely to lead to increased hatred against us in the USA as well.

On my blog, I have a link to an article by a Saudi doctor who wrote about this issue. It's the best one I've read so far. You will find it in the post titled "Danish Cartoon Controversy/Freedom of Speech Issue".

wa salaam

2:02 AM  
Blogger In His Steps said...

I am a Christian and I find it offensive when there are cartoons depicting Jesus in a less than honorable way. So there is a part of me that understands how Muslims feel about their prophet being slammed. I think boycotting is an effective, non-violent way to show your offense. I wish the bombing and riots weren't happening though.
I agree with antar, there are many more issues that need to have outcry.

8:39 AM  
Blogger dcat said...

Oh brother! What the hell ever!

12:05 PM  
Blogger dcat said...

I meant that about the cartoons Rose :)

12:06 PM  
Blogger dcat said...

Hmmmmm?

The cartoons must be true then!

The last one on this page is my favorite!

6:32 AM  
Blogger D.C. said...

Hello Rose,

Idolatry?
I'd say that the fanatism for Mohammed and the Koran is idolatry.
And the over-reaction is pure intimidation.

Sigh.

agreed with Craig, we are not out of the woods until people understand what freedom is and where religion belongs.

10:18 PM  
Blogger ettesa said...

Sometimes people do take religion a little too far, no harm was intended it is just how the world is today, even big business do not mind a little joking, how would it be if Focus took offence to a little joke about focus garden furniture it is not the same I know but we need to be a little more light hearted about our faith, it is important yes but not to the length that some are willing to go, christianity and catholisism passed through phase centuries ago and now laugh along with humourists, maybe other faiths should do the same, it is not a reflection or an attack just joviality.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

love this blog

1:23 AM  
Blogger mewmewmew said...

I find it outrageous that my fellow muslims find a set of cartoons offensive while women and children are slaughtered on a daily basis by other muslims that won't generate an ounce of outcry in the muslim world. Does anyone else find this ridiculous?




we vibe
peepshow

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home