Friday, October 01, 2004

Other details of our weddings

When the girl get engaged, her family buys her everything she may need, her cloth, towels, bed covers, nightdresses and so on, while the groom's family buys the furniture like the bed room (the bride choose it but they pay for it) other things in the house both family help each other according to their wealth. The reason why the groom and the bride don't choose everything by themselves with their own money is the lack of money for the young couple.

The first breakfast after the new couple gets married is usually made by the bride's mother who brings it to their house in the morning (It's optional). the breakfast usually contains Kahi which is also a traditional breakfast in many occasions like Eid, it is some kind of pastry sweated with a sweeten syrup, usually eaten it with local cream which we call it (qaimar) and honey.

In the Nishan party, the groom and his family bring gifts to the bride including some night dresses and perfumes and some clothes decorated inside baskets (this is traditional in Baghdad and some of the cities but not all of them).

The white dress is usually bought by the groom or his family.

In Sab'a the mother of the bride and her mother in low give gifts from gold or diamond to the bride (optional).

Now let's discuss our main problem for most of the Iraqis right now which is residence. It's impossible for a normal paid couple to build or buy a simple house or even rent it. We have a serious problem with that, the lands became so expensive the last ten years and reached a high level the last couple of years, Baghdad and also the other cities expand horizontally not vertically as it should be according to the increae of population in Iraq, so we have very few residential buildings. The increment of prices of construction materials plus the bad rental law we have (which I'm going to talk about in another post) makes very few people think of investing their money for a public building or residential buildings. Therefore most couples either lives in a bed room in the man’s family's house and that is a very big problem for both of them or if his family is wealthy enough they could build him a small apartment above their house. If their house is big enough or have a big garden they build them a small house but this needs a lot of money.
Buying a good small house needs about one hundered millon Iraqi dinar which is about 70 thousands dollars and may be much more according where you want to buy your land, so according to our wages you can have your own house for about 25 years if you get a good salary. Or you should wait till some of your wealthy relatives die or you should be a merchant or a thief, or you become so lucky if your family is rich enough and they can offer you a house. We don't have payment by installment which can make things much easier for many of those who can pay a large amount of money every month but could not buy a house in advance. For me I consider my self lucky, my husband's family have a big house and wealth enough, so they separated their house for us, but I am still dreaming of my own house, but compared to others I'm very lucky. At least I have my own privacy. Many couples have children now and still unable to build or buy a house so they still live all together in the same bedroom!

I know a family that have five grown men in their house, they all got married and all have children some of them have 2 and others 3 and they still live in the same house together, when I go there I usually have a bad headache for the loud noise I hear.


Our community makes us depend completely on our parents, the parents are helping us in many ways, because they had the chance to build themselves while we are trying but we can't.

In many cities like Mosul, It's impossible for a couple to start their live separated form the husband's family even If they are wealthy enough, because they simply don't accept this, and they want all the family to live together with their children and grandchildren as well.

When the bride becomes pregnant with here first child, her family should buy all the child needs, his clothes, the bed, etc…..this tradition is more practiced in Mosul than Baghdad. Well if you want to know why I always compare things with mosul is because, I'm half form Baghdad and Half form Mosul. My father is form Mosul but he left Mosul since he was young but I still have so many relatives there, while my mother is from Baghdad.







9 Comments:

Blogger Faisal ... said...

Salaam Rose

All I want to say is this prose:

"I always complained to the Lord because I had no sandals and had to walk bear feet until I saw someone sitting on the street who had no legs and was happy."

7:24 AM  
Blogger rose said...

well Josie, it seems that your traditions are very similar to the Christians here. my closest friends are Christians and I had attended many Christian weddings and they looked very similar to what you said

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish for you what I wish for my own children. The hopes of young lovers are so much more important in the long run than the lusts of leaders.

Walter E. [don't like to register] Wallis
Palo Alto, CA

6:26 PM  
Blogger Faisal ... said...

Johny

??????????????

It's only a prose. All it's suppose to mean is be happy for what little (good) you have and do not complain on what you do not have.

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny said :-

Faisal
In England we call it a proverb and I thought you had posted it light-heartedly, to put a smile on Rose's face. I just posted a quip to it, to help keep her smiling. I certainly didn't think you were implying Rose should be grateful for small mercies. Laughter and humour are universal languages. Besides, Rose said her husband's family are wealthy and she has a Blog that is read by thousands of people all over the world. That makes her rich and famous, she probably wouldn't be seen dead in a pair of dusty old second-hand sandals anyway. ;-)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Faisal ... said...

Johnny

Understood. Please accept my apology.

2:35 AM  
Blogger 夜之剑 said...

Hi, I was just surfing around and found your online jewelry shopping page!
Very cool,I like finding all this interesting stuff.
If you are interested, go see my online jewelry shoppingrelated site which everything is in huge discount.You might find something of interest.

12:49 AM  
Blogger sdfsbo said...

Hi: I was looking for information on downtown San Diego condominiums and can upon your site. I'm working on a site about Downtown San Diego condo living and looking for any good facts that I might be able to incorporate into my site to really provide an in-depth information source. After reading your Blog, I found it interesting, but, it wasn't what I was looking for. With that said, I must say I've enjoyed reading it. I bookmarked your blog for the future. Well I'm off again in search for more detailed inner city living information.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HERE IS MY TESTIMONIES HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM A GENUINE LOAN LENDER,

Unbelievable Story I got a loan worth $100k from Julian Smith Loan Company, I'm Sidney Hattie From Colorado USA, am very happy now, because for the past two month i have been in search of loan, and i ended up losing an amount of $3080 and i needed that loan to get a new car and pay my bills, and i was almost given up on the Loan till i saw a comment from one Mr Jamin R. Who also testify of getting a loan from this great company, i never hesitate to contact them, and to to my greatest surprise, i was approved that same day, and today i have my Loan. am so amazing and i thank Julian Smith Loan Company for the good help rendered to me,Contact them today if you are in need of personal,Business,consolidation Loans, Here is Her email : ( juliansmith14@hotmail.com ) or call (302) 585-3970 or view their web page : http://juliansmithsloan20.wix.com/julianloan

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home